Monday, August 10, 2009

Misconceptions about counseling





Some of you may have some misconceptions about counseling.


Misconception No.1 : Counseling is for people who have 'mental problems' or 'psychological problems'.

Well, if people have 'mental problems' or 'psychological problems', they would most probably go to visit a doctor or a psychiatrist. :)

Counseling is for personal growth and self-development. There are different types of issues you could discuss with your counselor, e.g. yourself, your future direction, your family, your bf/gf, your classmate, or anything which concerns you and you need somebody to talk to.


Misconception No.2 : I have some problems, I don't know who to talk to. But, if I talk to my counselor, will she/he tell somebody else? My lecturer? My parents? My friends? Or other people?

Don't worry. Your secrets are safe with us. As professional counselors, we are trained to keep your secrets, and not to reveal your secrets to anyone as "XXX is having a big problem". Everything you say in the counseling session is private and confidential.

We will try our best to protect you and your secrets, unless you have a feeling of wanting to 'sleep and never wake up anymore' or homicidal thoughts, or abuse others, or abused by others, or ordered by the court (which rarely happened in our country, unless there is a crime), we have the responsibility to inform the third party about your intention.

Which means, you are safe to tell us what you want to tell.


Misconception No.3 :I don't think I have some major problems, but I have certain things which I need some help from others, but my friends don't understand me, I'm sure counselors may not understand me too.

Instead of cracking your head and thinking about everything all by yourself (which did not work well for you), you may need a pair of listening ears, a person who is skillfully equipped with psychological knowledge, and a clearer picture (or analysis) of your situation as a 3rd person - a counselor!

Misconception No.4 :I have some habits which I need to overcome. I want to become a better person. Maybe I should read some self-help books and waiting to see how they work for me.

Reading self-help books are good for you. But, you often found that you felt very motivated in the beginning. When you finished the whole book, you may still feel motivated. However, after one week or two, you may forget about everything the book told you and go back to your old lifestyle.

Maybe some of us did not even realize that we need to change. With the help of a counselor, you'll get a tailor-made and personalized treatment plan, suited best with your conditions. With guidance from a counselor, your progress will also be monitored by her/him.


Don't be an island, let us walk together.

No comments:

Post a Comment